Friday, July 27, 2012

SUGAR BABY

I have a confession to make. It's not actually a real confession; it's an obvious truth if you know me and a mere statement of fact if you don't. I'm completely obsessed with dessert. When I was a kid, my parents would actually take away my sugar privileges as punishment. I've worked at Georgetown Cupcake (yes, the place with the TV show) for almost two years now and I've become quite used to eating at least one cupcake per shift.

(From the top these are vanilla birthday, milk chocolate birthday, chocolate mint, toffee crunch, and pumpkin spice cupcakes)

There are people who don't agree with my weekly sugar intake but I'm a firm believer that food should be enjoyed and as long as you eat well and get good exercise (I'm also a yoga fanatic in addition to my cupcake addiction), then weekly or daily indulgence are perfectly healthy and sane.

For me, ordering dessert at a restaurant or sampling a local bakery is an experience unto itself. Many people claim to be "foodies" and want to travel the world through the plate. Don't get me wrong, I love good food too but if you want the full cultural experience, I think you need to test out the sweet side as well. Eating fresh gelato in Argentina, sampling homemade cocoa bars in Nicaragua and drinking Mexican hot chocolate in Cabo have all been memorable parts of my time there. Stopping at a gelatoria lead to an interesting conversation about Buenos Aires' Italian influence. Wandering in to a chocolate museum in Granada introduced my friend and I to the history of cocoa and its importance in Latin America.

I have no doubt that I'll be able to eat and drink my way through Copenhagen but hopefully I'll find a way to add a little bit of sugar to the mix. While a danish for breakfast may be easy to make happen, I'll be on the hunt for the best bakeries and coolest local candy. Who knows? Maybe cupcakes will catch on in Scandinavia too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hillary, I'm studying abroad with DIS this coming semester too and found your blog on the facebook page. Anyways, I thought you might be interested in knowing (based on this post) that the Copenhagen Cake Festival is August 25-26: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/Events/Copenhagen-Cake-festival/382

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! This sounds awesome and exactly like something I'd be in to!!

      Delete